Port of Rio de Janeiro
In the 1870s, with the construction of Doca da Alfândega, the first projects for the development of the Port of Rio de Janeiro emerged, which then operated in scattered facilities, including the piers of the Central do Brasil Railroad, on Ilha dos Ferreiros, from São Cristóvão Bay, Mauá Square, in addition to the Dom Pedro II, Saúde, Moinho Inglês and Gamboa piers.
Decrees No. 849, of October 11, 1890, and Decree No. 3,295, of May 23, 1890, authorized the companies Industrial de Melhoramentos do Brasil and The Rio de Janeiro Harbor and Docks, respectively, to build a set of berths, warehouses and porches. The sections between Ilha das Cobras and Arsenal de Marinha, and from Arsenal de Marinha to Ponta do Caju were chosen.
In 1903, the Federal Government hired the firm C.H. Walker & Co. Ltda., to carry out construction and improvement works in the wharf areas. Subsequently, the Gamboa Wharf and seven warehouses were built.
The official opening of the port took place on July 20, 1910, in that year administered by Demart & Cia.
From 1911 to 1922, the administration was with the Compagnie du Port of Rio de Janeiro and from 1923 to 1933 with the Companhia Brasileira deExploracao de Portos.
On January 16, 1936, by Law No. 190, the autonomous federal agency, called Administration of the Port of Rio de Janeiro, was created, which received the transfer facilities, being subordinate to the National Department of Ports and Navigation, of the Ministry of Transport and Public works.
On July 9, 1973, by Decree No. 72,439, the creation of Companhia Docas da Guanabara, currently Companhia Docas do Rio de Janeiro, was approved.
The port operates with potential cargo such as: containerized general cargo, electronics, rubber, petrochemicals, vehicle parts and parts, coffee, as well as steel products, press paper rolls, in addition to solid bulk such as wheat and pig iron.